Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Those Who Can't Do...

I came home from my counseling session the other day saying "I wish I could just make art for a living." And BF said, "why don't you?"

"I won't make any money and I am not about to be a starving artist. I'm not about to be a starving anything." I said.
"Yeah, but you could get another job to make money while you make art." He responded.
"I just want to be Drew Barrymore in 50 First Dates, painting and singing and happy." I said.
"She's a teacher in that movie. You could be an art teacher. Then you would always be doing art." He argued.

Since that conversation I've had that image in my head of what it would be like if I was an art teacher. I've been picturing myself walking around the art room at my old highschool... I can see myself doing it. But is it really what I want to do? I've never ever been interested in teaching and don't think I'd have the patience for it. But when I think of the benefits...I'd have Summers and Holidays off... and my whole life would revolve around being creative. It seems like it would be exactly what I've been wanting. Right? ...Or is it a cop out? I can't manage to do anything else so why not go into teaching right? And art teachers are always flaky and weird so it would be perfect for me! Ha... You know what they say, "Those you can do. Those who can't teach."

No comments: